Kanchana Ganga: An Artist’s Retreat

Across the stream and into the groves

A musical cascaded stream, a wooden bridge over it, red hibiscus flowers in the green farm and a lot of butterflies and dragonflies welcome you to this serene and secluded place in the hillocks of Karadka some 15km east of Kasaragod.

Punchithaya in his study

It is home to an illustrious artist P S Punchithaya. This maverick son of Tulunadu lives in his self designed beautiful house here with family. As we entered the varandah two Autumn Leaf butterflies flew out of the doorway. Punchithaya is always eager to welcome the unknown visitors who make it a pilgrimage to this creative retreat. It is a truly humanizing experience.

An artistic creation in the lap of nature

The designer house is a marvel and visual treat in itself with a lot of sculptures, reliefs, paintings, antiques and queer objects apart from the green surroundings. It speaks a lot about the designing and architectural brilliance of the artist. We also got a chance to enjoy some of the landscape paintings of the artist.

A painting by Punchithaya

This senior artist now in his early 70s welcomed us with warmth and sensitivity and offered us hot cups of Coorg coffee and showed us all around the house. Actually this was our second trip in search of Kanchana Ganga. Today(10 October 2010) we made it. The artist’s study and studio were really interesting. It was a really refreshing experience for me and Satheesh and we are looking forward to get back to this cool and charming place again.

Nature's sharp constrsting canvas: Red Jewel on a green leaf

10 thoughts on “Kanchana Ganga: An Artist’s Retreat

1. jayachandran r

i was a follower of Sri puninchithaya.i had been there in Karadka till 1997.actually my birth place is is there.Many times I visited this Great painter and sculpture and have got opportunity to clear my doubts on drawing.I won prizes for my works during my school days.now I am a teacher in a school here in South Kerala.I think he has not at all recognized fully.I now salute him for his love and affection towards me.

1. sunil kumar

ഹായ് എന്റെ വീട് കര്മംതോടി കാരടക എന്നാ സ്ഥലത്താണ് ,ഇപ്പോള്‍ അബുധാബിയില്‍ ,എനിക്ക് ഒരു സംശയം ഉണ്ട് പുനിഞ്ഞിത്തായ എവിടെ ആണ് പഠിച്ചത് ,അതായത് സ്കൂള്‍ ചെറിയ ക്ലാസ് ,കാരടക സ്കൂളില്‍ ആണോ ?അതോ കര്‍ണാടകയില്‍ ആണോ .പറഞ്ഞു തന്ന നന്നായിരുന്നു
      sunil542777@ gmail.com

2. ASHISH

what Jaychandran said is very true.. lets think of something… my contact no:+919986513193 please contact.. anytime.. will b happy to talk to u..

1. JAYACHANDRAN.R

Ashish,
      I will contact you soon.You can try my email:rjvarur@gmail.com for mail.Though my parents are from the south,I have born and brought up in this little known village.No one there even recognized him in his own gramam.Many of his innovative ideas didn’t accepted there.for example,he tried to start a cable car project from one hill to another.That might have changed karadka.People at that time opposed it.He is a creative in many ways.He introduced many such things like gober gas plant,”grampoo” plantations,kalagramam etc etc.I’ll surely be there in kalagramam to visit him during summer holidays.

3. maninambiar

I am Punchithaya’s neighbour in my village like Jyachandran. I live in TVM now. He has not been properly recognized by the media , i think. He didnt try to sell himself, thats the truth .. A man with lot of stories to tell.. I am behind him to publish his autobiography.

4. Jayachandran

Ponmani mathew got the Lalitha kala academy fellowship.She was also a student of Puninchithaya.We had participated in competitions in the school level and the dist level competitions in painting.

5. Jayachandran

I have no academic training in arts or painting but,puninchithaya helped me a lot to know how to appreciate a painting or a picture.In my library i have good collection of books on paintings.I can say a few words on world famous painters without referring anything.He is my inspiration in this field.I have many things to write as a layman.

6. Jayachandran

Ajayasekher,Thanks a lot for including the great artist in your blog.I also appreciated your efforts to popularizing the art form.